February 2016

Issue 19/2016

St. Sergius Nursing Home

On 22 Nov. 2015, the Sydney Balalaika Orchestra (SBO) gave a concert at the Nursing Home in Cabramatta which is dedicated to the Russian Orthodox Saint, St Sergius of Radonezh. This annual event is for the benefit of the residents who are largely of Russian émigré background. St Sergius of Radonezh is one of the most important saints in Orthodox Russia. At the monastery dedicated to him at Sergiyev Posad not far from Moscow, thousands of visitors make the pilgrimage to worship at his tomb. The monastery is noted for its icons, relics & above all for its liturgical music, particularly at Easter time. The SBO is honoured to perform at the Nursing Home of St Sergius of Radonezh and we are glad that it brings so much pleasure to the residents.

New Members

New Members Adrien Lee and Laurie-Ann Keller

We have been very fortunate in having two new members join the orchestra late last year. Adrian Lee and Laurie-Ann Keller are both bass players. Our leader Vic Serghie, has put Adrian onto the bass domra and Laurie onto a 3/4 size contra bass balalaika. Neither has ever had any experience on these particular instruments but both are showing great enthusiasm for the challenge of playing Russian folk music. The addition of these two instruments will also improve the balance of the orchestras sound by providing more weight and emphasis to the lower register of the music.

A little piece of history : Our next concert at the Playhouse Theatre, Mittagong

Back in the 1870s a major shale oil mining and manufacturing plant operated in a peaceful valley west of Mittagong named Joadja, a small township that peaked in 1890 with 1,200 workers and their families and which operated for 30 years. In 1886 a School of Arts was constructed and was used for regular church services by ministers from Mittagong. When the shale oil operation closed in 1896 the building was dismantled and the sandstone carted to Mittagong. The School of Arts on its present site was built in 1899 and its gable roof is visible in the middle of the building. The hall was added in 1911 using sandstone from the Fitz Roy Iron works and materials from the old Joadja Village Hall.


Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 7:30 start.

Old Hume Highway (B73) and Bowral Rd, Mittagong NSW
Enquiries Bruce Barker 0418 402 712
Tickets are available at door subject to availability.